Sunday, April 6, 2008

Forty Years Ago...

On the day Martin Luther King was Murdered I was playing at Joseph Bonnheim elementary school. I was eleven years old and in sixth grade. I remember the moment because of what the custodian said to me. It was evening on the West Coast and I was riding my bicycle in the hallways. The custodian was washing the concrete sidewalks and listening to the radio. I can't remember for what reason he looked up and felt the need to share the news with me, but I plainly remember what he said " They shot the king of the n******s tonight." I said, "What"? and he repeated it and then went back to work.
I was eleven years old. I think there might have been two black kids in my whole class. I knew one had been acting peculiar: Talking "Black Power" and alienating himself from his childhood friends. I didn't understand the issues. We were children, naive, truly unaware of the Social upheavals of the sixties. I'm not sure Howard Wade understood the issues either, but, rather was acting as he saw other, older blacks acting. Growing up in Colonal Village his whole life also, the son of a career military man, I'm not sure what discrimination Howard suffered as a boy (he was eleven too). He was just another kid in cub scouts. Maybe like Hank Aaron who said everyday of his life, in some small way, someone reminded him he was black, Howard just wanted to be Howard.
Sheltered in the neighborhood, my circle was small and I was happy.
Forty years later I understand the issues of that day, and I also understand this: Although the majority of black Americans are now middle class, despite forty years of social consciousness and legislation to equalify America, Black America still feels discriminated against. Furthermore, if Black voting is the measure, Being Black to blacks is first when it comes to identifying oneself, and identifying with a candidate. The idea is this: Forty years later why Doesn't the term "American" not include so many sects of society in their own minds? And why In the privacy of Black churces at the pulpit, behind closed doors in Black Society, Why is the Sermon of Revolution being preached? And if being Black is first and foremost, isn't civil war inevitable?
It is the same with Hispanic Americans. They are Latinos. They want to speak Spanish. They want their "own " culture and they resist the Necessity of the melting pot.
I am an American. I am a Male. I am fifty one. All of those things come to my mInd before I think "I'm White". And all are inclusive to all Americans. All male Americans can be male. Everybody gets to be their age. I'm not white American, I'm American. You're American? Thats the club, and the club works when we all are American.
But Black American, or Latino, or any other nationality that wants to be American, but doesn't want to get in the pot and melt with the rest of us: Any group that wants to be "Anything" before American is, in my mind, asking to be discriminated against: By the necessity to differentiate themselves they ask to be treated differently and disciminate against others.
This is club America and ALL Americans should be treated equally. Asking to be a certain kind of American only alienates the rest of us, and draws attention to a desire to be Different. Exclusive. And Exclusive goes against the idea of Equality, and thats the idea that makes America great: Everybodys Equal, the same, American. United We Stand. The inverse of that is dangerous to US as a nation. And that is the problem with sects of American society drawing lines to differentate themselves based on race, creed, or color. And religion.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all just be human? Oh, We are. So where do we draw the line before the killing starts?: Drawing lines is dangerous. Better that we be American of { Pick your } Heritage, and emphasize American. But every day this election year America is facing a showdown with a forty year old line that has been erased legally and in the open, but behind closed doors, And in the minds of many, has never been removed. That is why Oprah deserts Hillary. Would Oprah have Backed Obama if he was exactly the same man but white. No! IF he looked white Oprah would be screaming HILLary! Oprah feels the line. And that is why Black Voters Vote Obama, His most important characteristic to accompany being a viable candidate.
Forty years later ......Everything has changed. Nothing has changed. I guess it depends on which side of the line you're on. and that's dangerous. The encouraging news is the line is a lot harder to find in 2008. The bad news is the line is more distinct than ever to those whom are feeling it, yet it seems to be invisible to many. Obviously I can never know what it is to be a Black Man in a society and culture controlled by rich white people. But Oprah, .......I don't understand it, and after everything women have done for her! Bradman

No comments:

Post a Comment