Friday, January 30, 2009

Tales of Doom

I've been at the shack for 7 days now. I know there are people out there who would love to be alone in the mountains of southern Oregon for a week, but for me, well, I actually jogged two miles today on my mountain road, worked on the house, and now am writing this post to occupy myself. Maybe I should put this place on Craig's List as a $1500 a week mountain hideaway rental. One week rented a month would be cool. That would be enough I could be gone to the city to spend money.
Anyway, don't be a sucker, let your Congress Rep know, nothings going to save us; give the money to the Chinese and forget the bailout.
Hey, we owe it to them. I know how it feels. I want my money too. Now. And hell no, no more credit till I'm paid.

"COFFEE WARS, that's the first factor I want to consider. Not that Starbucks and Dunkin-Donuts will determine our national economy and save the housing market, but they are great indicators of the times. See, I don't think that improving a latte' , or customer service, is going to save Starbucks. As times get harder it is my bet that the extravagance of $3.50 cups of coffee will be one of the first luxuries to give way to reality: Look for coffee shops, cafe mochas, and Cappuccinos to disappear quicker than equity in a Las Vegas home."
(Coffee Wars, Property Prices, and Nothing Left to Lose 26Feb08)

It's a year later and the news has only gotten worse. I read an article this week written in 2004 by Mark S.. Watson, 'The oncoming economic depression.' Mr. Watson had foresight. I found the article interesting because it was exactly four years old. If Mr Watson is correct, and he seemed to be accurate back in 2004, don't look for things to improve for a long time. In a small, small, small world, America's big standard of living is going to shrink a little.
Remember the rich have no borders and don't care about the non-rich. You have money or you don't. Believe that, and this: money can live anywhere and cares not about nationality or allegiances. Former President Bush is developing a compound in Paraguay, isn't he? Of course that might be to avoid prosecution, or worse, but after what has happened in this country the last eight years, does anyone really think he gave a damn about the average American? And the strings that strung him damn sure didn't care about America.
Starbucks is closing another three hundred stores today. That 's what this letter is about. They were my measure a year ago and, unfortunately, they are my measure today and the first sentence of this paragraph says it all.
Welcome to the future. You'll be forced to live in a house that's not worth what you owe on it, as it's value decreases. Fuel prices and insurance will force you to mass transit where you'll be forced to meet people you don't want to meet, private transit will be restricted to the upper classes, and worst of all, you'll have to brew your own coffee because Starbucks will only be affordable to the wealthy.
Enjoy them while you still can...

No comments:

Post a Comment