Monday, April 19, 2010

Comparing Views, What Have I Done... And (oh yeah!) Be Careful What You Wish For!


The view has changed a little, huh? The ranch in West Sacramento is an undeveloped island in a sea of funk. The neighborhoods around it are rising like the tide and soon it will disappear. The ranch, once in escrow for 1.75 million USD, is now on the market for a mere 499,000 USD. Quite the buy for someone who can afford a little extra elbow room. Unfortunately, the moment you drive off the property, you're back in the city: Six lanes of hurtling steel on the freeways, Someone always in a hurry behind you, Young people with the look of nothing to lose and hate under their tattoo'd necks. The pace of the race to the grave strikes me as blazing. Like comets burning through the atmosphere. Only after being in the "at my own pace" lifestyle of Southern Oregon for three years do I now see how urban living literally pushes people. Needless to say I have my doubts about what the hell I'm doing back in California.



Oregon was so much cheaper to live in. The problem isn't money though, it's people. Too many people and the place is falling apart. There are money problems throughout the states, but in California the shere number of people make the figures twenty times worse than in Oregon. I guess there's no place like home. Like marriage for better or for worse. On that note, it's wonderful to see my wife every day. It will be a shame when the next adventure begins and she elects to remain in Sactown and babysit her grandchildren. China is inviting me to come and teach, again. The dog gets older. Property in Corning continues to decline in price. The heat is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment