Friday, May 29, 2009

Letters from my third son - Letter Three

New Friend

I’m ushered into a car I have no idea the make of. It looks like a typical middle class get you to point A to B. We drive off into the city and I stare at this new landscape from the car window, I size it up like an ex’s new mate. Sydney is gloomy this Wednesday morning and I can’t wait for the rain to return. The city smells like sidewalk that has been freshly hit drenched in liquid sunshine. It takes me back to my days of walking to school in the rain. On the walk I would daydream of being back in bed and listening to the music the rain created outside. I jump out of my memory when lissett announces to me that we are at my hostel

Slamming the car door shut I make my way across the street to my hostel. I check in, get my key, and hear the run down. I quickly step out on to George Street and light my last cigarette. I walk about 20 minute in all four directions just so I have a decent feel for the land. I take a look at endless shop signs that I will have to remember just as well as the street names. When traveling it’s just as important to know where you have been, along with where you are, and where you are going. Traveling is way different than a vacation. When one travels they must be alert at all times. You must know your surroundings, remember conversations, recognize places, and constantly analyze everyone. The mental part of traveling is just as taxing as the physical part. It starts to rain harder and makes this gorgeous city even more so. The city is painted with rainwater and the streets now look like they are paved in marble. I head back toward my hostel to meet up with a friend I meet through a co-worker. As soon as I walk threw the doors she is there to greet me.

The first thing anybody will notice about our new friend is that she will have a lot of back problems when she gets older. These things are ridiculous and to top it off she has a small waist that accentuates her upper torso. Now in most cases a good upper half means the back yard doesn’t have enough room to run a full court game. Now, I said most cases, but not this one. The only thing about her is that she is 5’3 and 24, so I know that that waist will fill out and her coke bottle figure will turn into a 2 liter, but as it stands now... it’s time to play ball. “Hello I’m Erin.”

No comments:

Post a Comment