Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Road To Happy Camp

The road to Happy Camp is open. Strange cars pass by I don't normally see from my upstairs window. Some of them belong to residents of Happy Camp. Happy Camp is closer to Cave Junction than it is to Yreka, and during the warm months of the year the road is open between here and there.. Oregon has no sales tax, so Happy Campers will drive here to shop. Other's are tourists. People whom might point or stop and take pictures of the shack. They go home and say, "Look how poor people in Oregon live".
Inching along, every day is a small progression of throwing good money after bad, and hoping the world will improve sooooo much it will save me. I hope all those doomsday pessimists convincing us the party is over are wrong, I just today invested another 23 dollars in pipe for this property that will never be worth what I paid for it. Years of living in Real Estate markets where you could be comatose and make money, where "property will always appreciate", made us feel smart. Dumb.
I wasn't smart, I was lucky. A lot of other people's luck has expired. Mine? Maybe. Luck is a funny.thing. Sometimes you got it going though you think you don't. ie. I was going to buy a house. A good buy. The owner got smart, backed out , sold to someone else after raising the price. That winter the place burned down. Lucky? I didn't think so initially, but the fire changed my mind. Sour grapes turn sweet sometimes. Normally, though, it's like the Chinese say," Expensive isn't expensive, Cheap isn't cheap".
No I didn't burn the place down.
It has been a very depressing week. The property was sold, or at least we thought , then not. This economic recession \ real estate depression is bullshit when it adversely affects me. Damn personal. I'm still hoping I can liquidate here, and take advantage of the depression elsewhere, before it's over. Cash is King and I speak Chinese, you wouldn't think there could be a problem.
Or maybe I'm really lucky this property won't sell, at least for a profit, and I won't realize it for a while longer. That of course would mean California had gone to hell, fallen into the sea or something, and everybody that survived had to move to Oregon. I don't know if I can wish that on the world for the little bit of money I have invested here.
There we have it; Be careful what you wish for; You never know; and I guess this is more of a ramble than a rant because I ain't mad; it is as it is.

1 comment:

  1. wow, another hippy hypocrite,
    boo hoo.
    please stay on that hill and kill off your internet connection..

    ReplyDelete