Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's Not All Bad


There is a story that Colonel Parker, Elvis Presley's controlling business partner, on the day of Elvis's death, called a meeting with the principals involved in the business end of the King, and at that meeting the first words out of the colonel's mouth were, "This doesn't change a thing". Elvis has been making money ever since. More than he was when he was alive. Of course what brings that story to mind is the news that one year after his death, Michael Jackson is making more money than ever before. He sold more albums/CD's last year than in the previous eight. The movie of his final tour, the one he was rehearsing for before his death, has pulled in 500 million too. Bottom line... Michael is making more money than ever, he's out of debt, and best yet for those doing the books; Michael is not running up any debt with his eccentricities.
Money. It seems harder all the time to acquire. I want to buy a motor home. I found a good one, low mileage, not "lived" in, and the price is right. I decided to sell my motorcycle to generate half the cash. The day I put the motorcycle on Craiglist, there were 500 other entries under motorcycle ! Yeah, good luck. It appears more toys are going up for sale than being bought by far right now. Hard times are causing toys from the boom to be sold off. Everybody selling, nobody buying. BUT,... I got a bite, when the buyer showed up and saw my bike he wanted it.
Then his story,... his pastor had just bought his motorcycle, and as soon as he could cash the check, he would buy my motorcycle. He said he knew the pastor's check was good and he showed it to me. He also stated he had sold the pastor a car and the check was "no problem". I want cash, of course, but speaking to the man I got the distinct impression that the pastor at the Calvary Church was doing quite well. Well enough to buy up my prospective buyer's old toys at least. He'll be back when the banks open with the cash, I have faith....... so what's the moral of the juxtaposition of these two thoughts in the wild ravings of a disgruntled ex- postal worker? Ironic that "you can't take it with you", but the Kings are generating their biggest profits from the grave.
The world seldom is as it appears. Amazing what a good "spin" can do for a legend, huh? Oh, and some places are doing just fine, the ever after and their salesmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment