Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's On

Forty months ago I left Sacramento. It has been both the slowest forty months of my life, and a blur it went by so fast. Bradland and Southern Oregon have been wonderful experiences. I will love the last forty months always. The change did me well. Others have not been so fortunate. I go through my Rolodex of Sacramento associates and sadly, some of the names belong to people no longer alive. Some I call and only then find out they are no longer alive. Others are retired. By the time I remove outdated cards and numbers, more are discarded than remain. Time is racing by, not only for others but for myself. I look back and ask myself, "are you satisfied?". Yes, I've had a full childhood. Yes, it was all good for me because......it was what it was, the sum total is today, and I'm living it. It didn't kill me so I must be stronger. I hope so. But satisfied, .....No.
Childhood is over. I've been around a lot of blocks. I feel like the luckiest 53 year old in the world. I've been full circle and now, I get to go back and do it again; In 1990 I bought a major fixer for 73,000 dollars around the corner from todays major fixer. Over fifteen years the value of the home skyrocketed. I sold it in 2006 and paid for a long childhood way overdone. I moved to Southern Oregon. Now, four years later, I can afford to return, buy another fixer for less money then in 1990, and do it all over again! It's like magic! You know, "Just think if you could do it all over again and know what you know now." Well I'm going to try. The excitement of it thrills me.
The world as we know it can be destroyed and begin again in five years. In three and a half years at Bradland I have assembled a life and live it. I have re-built an individual. I have reconciled myself to mortality, developed the mind set for tolerance, worked hard to understand myself and take the time to think of others. I have tried to grow up. I have no doubt how well I've done will be put to the test daily in the city.
The mountain is peaceful today.Three days of bad weather has passed and the flag hangs limp on the pole. There is an inch of snow on the ground melting fast . The blue skies that were present when the sun came up have now turned to fog. The serenity is beautiful in it self. The city is so assaulting. People everywhere. Cars everywhere. Rush. Rush. Rush. I imagine we are by-products of our experiences and most comfortable in our accustomed environment. Over three years removed from the city on a daily basis , I now wonder if can return and be happy. Time will tell. I have an accepted offer on the next adventure and Bradland will be signed away in two days. It's on.

No comments:

Post a Comment