Monday, July 12, 2010

Motorhomes and Motorcycles


I had a nice Honda Goldwing 1200 Interstate. It made me nervous driving it anymore. I've been to Skip-Frame. I 'd been looking at motorhomes. I sold the motorcycle. I decided I didn't need a motorhome. I put the money in the safe. I kept looking for a motorhome though. Then I found a good one. Winnebago, original owner, 25 ft long, Dodge 440, 37,000 miles, Onan generator, overhead air, never lived in, new tires, new batteries. Like new but 32 years old. I met the original owner, she was 90. Her Grandson negotiated the deal and it was his labor of love for Grandma, and a bother for him. It was a great deal on a good motorhome. I made it a better deal with some negotiation. I bought a motorhome. I drove the motorhome from Woodland to West Sacramento, parked it, and began checking it out closely. It was Thursday. The rig ran smooth and cool in the 95 degree heat. The closer I looked, the better the deal looked. I had my motorhome.

On Friday I got up and realized I didn't need a damn motorhome. I didn't want to pay registration fees or insurance for it. I didn't want to smog it. I damn sure didn't want to buy gas for it. I'm an Oregon resident in California with an Oregon drivers license, address, etc. BIG Hassle. I don't really have anywhere to go. I decided my motorhomin' days are over . I'm too cheap to have fun anymore. I added three hundred dollars to the price I paid, put it back on Craigslist, and started worrying. There was a flurry of calls . Promises but no lookers. On Saturday a serious buyer showed up. We spent two hours going over the details of the home, How I came to own it for three days, etc. I demonstrated everything. I repeated the answers the grandson had given. They were sold until... We took it for a test drive. The engine ran smooth and cool. The buyer raced it between stops. He hit the brakes hard. It was all good. We were making the last corner home when my phone rang and I told the caller that I thought the motorhome was sold. Like a comedy, I no sooner finished the sentence and hung up the phone when strange noises started coming from the engine compartment. A-ring-a ding-ding,..it sounded like something was coming apart . We pulled in the driveway, we popped off the engine cover, it sounded terrible but there was no apparent problem. I shut the engine off.
The buyers freaked. The male started talking about some main dampener being bad and the engine needing a major overhaul. I was sick. SICK. The buyers left. I wanted to hurt the male for driving my motorhome hard. I was there though and I couldn't blame him. What the hell could the noise be? I went back out and turned the key. The dash air was blowing . When I bought the motorhome the seller told me the dash air didn't work. When my buyer showed up I told him that too,.. but when he turned it on it was blowing cold air so we left it on. I turned it off. I started the engine. Smooth and Cool. It had not changed in performance or temperature at all. No noise. I drove the motorhome the same route again. No problems. I parked it and turned on the dash air. At first it was a small pinging, but it got louder and I recognized the sound. It was the compressor for the dash air that sounded like it was unraveling , not the engine. I called the buyer back and tried to explain. They thought I was nuts , trying to talk them into coming back to buy a motorhome with a bad engine.When they didn't come back, I wanted to hurt the guy again for scaring me into thinking my engine was bad and I had lost two G!
Saturday the first couple to come and look at the motorhome bought it. I was careful to make sure they understood what a good deal it was. Never count your chickens in the egg. The herd ain't in 'til it's in ! And a good deal is a good deal, even if the guy before you makes a profit ! I proudly owned this motorhome for four days.

1 comment:

  1. Τhanκs foг уour marѵelouѕ posting!
    I ѕеriously enjoуed reading it, you could be a great author.
    I wіll make sure to bookmark уour blog and will come back at some poіnt.
    I ωant to encourаge you to ultіmatеly
    continue your great work, have a nice afteгnoon!


    my blog poѕt Www.Gpoaccess.info

    ReplyDelete